Bang for Your Buck – How Eat Organically on a Budget
These simple organic shopping tips can help you and your family eat organic, healthy foods without spending a fortune at the store.
Yes, we all know buying organic foods can be more costly, but the health benefits of eating them are worth every cent. Here are a few tips to help the wallet:
- Buy in bulk. Most health food stores have bulk containers with everything from nuts to pasta. Rather than buying a small container of a specific item, purchase from the bulk section. The cost is much lower.
- Look for local distributors. The cost of the food will definitely be lower because the item didn’t have to travel thousands of miles. And, you are supporting the local economy.
- Buy bagged fruit. Often oranges and organic apples are available in bags. Rather then buying the loose fruit, buy the bagged fruit. Store it in the fridge and it will last longer. Remember, buy organic apples and conventional oranges are fine (re: thick skin items are ok to buy conventional).
- Look for sales. Sign up for local grocery store coupons online. This will not only alert you immediately, but will also save the trees.
- Eat at home. I bet there is a great organic restaurant in your neighborhood. Resist the urge and prepare organic meals for you and your family at home. Not only do you know what is in your food, you will be able to eat an all-organic meal for way less then if you went out.